Tongue-tie assessment and division services
I offer frenulotomy privately to parents of babies with tongue-tie after completing training in Southampton in 2011. Parents can contact me directly to make an appointment or for clinic appointments an online booking system is available. I do not need a referral. Please note that I routinely treat babies up to 6 months old. For babies aged between 6-9 months I make a judgement based on the size and temperament of the baby and how many teeth they have. I do not treat babies over 9 months of age.
COVID19 During the pandemic I will only be offering tongue-tie assessment and division within clinic settings to minimise my contact with others. only mums and babies will be able to attend appointment. If other family members or friends need to accompany mum and baby to a clinic they will need to stay outside the clinic. If mum or baby or any member of your household has a perisitent cough or high temperature the whole household should be self isolating and you should not attend the clinic under any circumtances. Please contact me if in any doubt about your symptoms before attending.
Tongue-tie is a condition which affects up to 1 in 10 babies and is more common in boys than girls. Most of us have a lingual frenulum (a membrane situated towards the base of the tongue which extends from the under surface of the tongue into the floor of the mouth) so the presence of a visible or palpable lingual frenulum is normal anatomy. However, in some individuals this lingual frenulum may be short, tight and attached close to the tip of the tongue and/or on the gum and cause restrictions in tongue movement and function. These restrictions may then cause feeding difficulties. These restricted lingual frenula are what we call a ‘tongue-tie’.
For detailed information on tongue-tie see my Parents Guide to Tongue-tie
I offer clinic consultations in Stapleford and Milton (Cambridge), Bury St Edmunds and Hethersett (Norwich). I also offer home visits for frenulotomy within 30 miles travelling distance of Ely when I have capacity. The area covered includes Cambridgeshire, West Suffolk (Newmarket/Mildenhall/Bury St Edmunds area)or West Norfolk (Downham Market/King's Lynn/Swaffham area).
Cost for home visits £225.00 for assessment and feeding support with frenulotomy. £125.00 for assessment and feeding support only. To book phone 07729629190 or email email@example.com
Cost for clinic consultations £175.00 for assessment and feeding support with frenulotomy or £95.00 for assessment and feeding support only.
What to Expect
- You will be given an appointment for a home visit or clinic consultation.
- You should avoid feeding baby for an hour before the appointment so he or she will be interested in feeding during the consultation.
- If coming to a clinic bring your red book and a blanket to wrap baby in and if baby is having top ups or is bottle fed bring some expressed milk or if using formula a carton of the ready made formula you usually use. In the home you will need to provide a flat clean surface, such as a kitchen/dining table, clean changing mat, good lighting and blanket for swaddling.
- I will take a detailed medical history for both mother and baby, birth history and feeding history from you and I may observe baby feeding.
- I will assess tongue function and then discuss my findings with you.
- We will go through strategies, which may be more appropriate than tongue-tie division, or which may be needed alongside division, to improve feeding such as positioning and attachment, boosting milk supply, suck training, etc.
- If tongue-tie division is appropriate I will go through the potential outcomes and risks of the procedure with you so you can make an informed decision on whether to go ahead or not.
- You will be asked to sign a consent form. There is no obligation to go ahead and I am quite happy for parents to go away and spend time researching and thinking more about the procedure if they wish to.
- I will swaddle your baby in a towel or blanket and place them on the couch in the clinic room under a bright lamp or surgical lighting. In the home they will be placed on a changing mat on your table or other flat, clean surface.
- If I have an assistant in clinic then they will hold your baby’s head (unless you prefer to). However, if I am working alone then a parent will need to hold baby’s head.
- Using my index finger to lift the tongue I will visualise the frenulum (tongue-tie) and snip it using a pair of single use, sterile, curved, blunt tipped scissors.
- Once the frenulum has been fully divided to form a diamond shaped wound I will place a piece of gauze under baby’s tongue and pass baby to mum to feed. Babies usually latch on within a minute and bleeding is usually very light and stops quickly once baby is feeding. Most babies tolerate the procedure well with just a short cry before they feed.
- I will observe baby feeding and provide support with this.
- I will also go through some simple, gentle tongue exercises you can do with your baby and explain to you what to expect in terms of healing and recovery.
- A feeding plan will be agreed with you to manage any ongoing feeding issues and get feeding back on track.
- I will stay with you until any bleeding has settled.
I offer clinic consultations at
Bury St Edmunds - The Self Centre, 4 Kempson Way, Bury St Edmunds, IP32 7AR. Free parking outside the centre or on the road behind. http://www.the-self-centre.co.uk/
Stapleford (Cambridge) - The Jade Pathway Clinic, 2B Dolphin Way, Stapleford, CB22 5DW. Free parking in front of clinic and on the road. https://jadepathway.com/
Milton (Cambridge) - The Jade Pathway Clinic at Headstart Sports Massage Clinic, 107 Cambridge Road, Norman Industrial Estate, Milton, CB24 6AT. 3 hours free parking on Tescos. No parking on site.
Somersham (Huntingdon) - Harding Physiotherapy, 20 West Newlands, Somersham, PE28 3EB. Free parking outside clinic and on the road.
Hethersett (Norwich) - Rowan House Centre, 28 Queens Road, Hethersett, NR9 3DB Free parking on site and on road. https://www.rowanhousecentre.co.uk/
I also offer consultations in the home (for clients within 30 miles travelling distance of Ely) when I have capacity. The area covered includes Cambridgeshire, West Suffolk (Newmarket/Mildenhall/Bury St Edmunds area), West Norfolk (Downham Market, Kings Lynn, Swaffham area).
- Clinic consultation for assessment and feeding support £95
- Clinic consultation for tongue-tie division (includes assessment and feeding support) £175
- Clinic follow up consultations £50
To book home consultations please phone 07729629190 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Home visits £125 for assessment and feeding support
- Home visits for tongue-tie division (includes assessment and feeding support) £225
- Home follow up £75
Your consultation fee includes free email and phone follow up. You are also welcome to access my free group in Ely for further face to face support.
If you have used my tongue-tie division service I'd love to receive your feedback. Click here to take survey